I’m not a beauty expert, but here are 10 things I like to do in my own life:
1. Take off your make-up every night (including eye make-up). This is a must. No matter how tired I am, I never go to bed without washing my face. An easy and cheap way to remove eye make-up is to use baby oil. Two dollars will buy a bottle big enough to last two months. Washing your face every night is a great way to keep your skin healthy.
2. Moisturize. I do this twice a day- after I remove my make-up at night, and before I apply it in the morning. I usually use some form of eye cream as well. Seriously, it’s one of the best things you can do to slow the process of aging. Dry skin ages faster. No one wants to see a wrinkled 25-year-old.
3. Always wear proper fitting undergarments. This should be obvious, but, unfortunately, it’s not. You need to know your cup size and you need a good bra. Let’s try to avoid sagging and nip-slips, ladies.
4. Wax or pluck facial hair. No offense, but don’t be the type to sport a unibrow or lady ‘stache. Only one person on earth can pull off a mustache, and that is Tom Selleck.
5. Wear sunglasses to prevent crow’s feet. I don’t know if this is a scientifically proven fact, but I’ve convinced myself that if I don’t squint, I won’t have a lot of wrinkles around my eyes. Because of this, I refuse to go outdoors without sunglasses, even if it’s overcast. I personally stand by this rule… take that for what it’s worth.
6. Experiment with different colors/looks. I usually wear neutral shadows, but it’s a lot of fun to try bolder colors, especially for date nights or girls’ night out. Try the “cat eye” look with your liner (my day to day look), wear false eyelashes, or red lipstick. Be dramatic from time to time and step out of your comfort zone. Being able to play with make-up is one of the best things about being a woman.
7. Don’t think you have to spend a lot on cosmetics to look good. I love Chanel, Dior, and Nars, but I equally love Cover Girl and e.l.f. My eyeliner cost $1 and my mascara cost $4. Work within your budget…
8. But treat yourself from time to time! My favorite blush is Nars Orgasm. I don’t wear it every day because it’s a bit pricey, but I do feel special when I have it on. Whether it’s a good moisturizer, mascara, or perfume, I think it’s great to have at least one product that makes you feel like a princess.
9. Wear lotion. I always put lotion on before bed and before I get dressed in the morning. Lotion is especially important for hands so I try to coat my hands several times a day. All skin ages-take care of it.
10. Keep your finger nails and toe nails groomed appropriately. I do my own nails to save money, but always make sure they’re groomed. If you paint them make sure the polish doesn’t chip off. Unless you’re trying to achieve Guinness World Record status, please keep your toe nails trimmed, and, for the love of all that’s holy, keep your nails clean! If you’re not a kid (or a man) there is no reason to have dirt under your nails.
Those are the rules that make my world go round. Happy shopping!