Also, if you’re in the market for some new beauty products, make sure to check out Holly at The Stanfield Clan. She’s giving away TWO $50 gift cards to Target- you can score some major loot! Details here!
I started blogging a few years ago, but, because of life, I never felt I had enough time to contribute. It’s become a creative outlet for me to write about beauty products, fashion, holidays, home inspiration, and other ideas. This is one of my favorite posts- I wrote it in 2011 and it’s even been picked up by other sites. It started as “10 Beauty Rules I Live By” but, at 28, I felt it necessary to add a crucial 11th rule.
I’m not a beauty expert, but here are 11 beauty rules I personally follow:
1. Take off your makeup every night (including eye makeup). This is a must. No matter how tired I am, I never go to bed without washing my face. An easy and cheap way to remove eye makeup is to use baby oil (on a cotton ball). Two dollars will buy a bottle big enough to last a few months. Keep a package of face wipes by your bed for nights that you’re exhausted (or had too much to drink-no judgment) for a quick makeup removal. Washing your face every night is a great way to keep your skin healthy and luminous!
2. Moisturize. I do this twice a day- after I remove my makeup at night, and before I apply it in the morning. I always use eye cream as well. Seriously, it’s one of the best things you can do to slow the process of aging. Dry skin ages faster. No one wants to see a wrinkled 25-year-old.
3. Always wear proper fitting undergarments. This should be obvious, but, unfortunately, it’s not. You need to know your cup size (associates at Victoria’s Secret will measure you for free) and you need a good bra. Let’s try to avoid sagging and nip-slips, ladies. It will save you a lot of pain!
4. Wax or pluck facial hair. No offense, but don’t be the type to sport a unibrow or lady ‘stache. Only one person on earth can pull off a mustache, and that person is Tom Selleck.
5. Wear sunglasses to prevent crow’s feet. I don’t know if this is a scientifically proven fact, but I’ve convinced myself that if I don’t squint, I won’t have a lot of wrinkles around my eyes. Because of this, I refuse to go outdoors without sunglasses, even if it’s overcast. I personally stand by this rule… take that for what it’s worth.
Sunglasses: my favorite pair!
6. Experiment with different colors/looks. I usually wear neutral shadows, but it’s a lot of fun to try bolder colors, especially for date nights or girls’ night out. Try the “cat eye” look with your liner (my day-to-day look), wear false eyelashes, or red lipstick. Be dramatic from time to time and step out of your comfort zone. Playing with makeup is one of the best things about being a woman.
7. Don’t think you have to spend a lot on cosmetics to look good. I love YSL, Benefit, Tarte, and Nars, but I equally love Cover Girl, Maybelline, and e.l.f. My eyeliner cost $1 and my mascara cost $4. Work within your budget…
8. But treat yourself from time to time! My favorite blush is Nars Orgasm. I don’t wear it every day because it’s a bit pricey, but I do feel special when I have it on. Whether it’s a good moisturizer, mascara, or perfume, I think it’s great to have at least one product that makes you feel like a princess.
9. Wear body/hand lotion. I always put lotion on before bed and before I get dressed in the morning. Lotion is especially important for hands so I try to coat my hands several times a day. All skin ages-take care of it.
10. Keep your finger nails and toe nails groomed appropriately. I do my own nails to save money, but always make sure they’re groomed. If you paint them make sure the polish doesn’t chip off. Unless you’re trying to achieve Guinness World Record status, please keep your toe nails trimmed, and, for the love of all that’s holy, keep your nails clean! If you’re not a kid, there is no reason to consistently have dirt under your nails.
11. WEAR SUNSCREEN. The most important (and recently added) item on this list. In my early-to- mid-twenties, I tanned like an idiot, sometimes visiting two tanning beds in ONE DAY. I regret it now and haven’t been in at least two years. At the very least, find a moisturizer, BB Cream, or foundation with SPF. It will help prevent wrinkles, sun spots, and, of course, could save your life.
Those are the rules that make my world go round. What beauty rules do you live by?