As of yesterday, I have exactly six months until my 30th birthday. The thought of this milestone has caused me a lot of anxiety: I haven’t reached any of the “big” moments that the world expects you to accomplish by this age, which doesn’t normally bother me… until I realize I’m almost 30. I’ve stressed so much about it that I haven’t taken the time to realize how blessed I am- how many people aren’t lucky enough to reach this age?
Instead of facing the next six months with trepidation, I’m focusing on goals I’d like to achieve (or at least work towards) in the meantime.
- Get in shape. I signed up for the Pile on the Miles challenge, and have committed to walking 50 miles in November. Bring it on!
- Work on my career. I love what I do, but I left a full-time job to do it. I’m on a contract and the project I was hired to do is nearly complete… I busted my butt to do it and am proud of what I’ve accomplished. But, I’d like to find something stable.
- Break into the freelance world. I haven’t had a lot of free time to devote to this, but am dedicated to finding it.
- Pay off some of my debt. I’m only a few months away from accomplishing a huge chunk of this goal.
- Move to Louisville. May not happen in six months, but I’d like to get the ball rolling in that direction.
- Get organized. This might mean paying someone to do it for us, but our cabinets/closets/bathrooms are a MESS. We have let it go for far too long.
- Drink less. Goodbye, nightly red wine.
- Spend less. I do not need 100 pairs of shoes. I do not need 300 lipsticks. I need to repeat this mantra daily.
- Eat less junk. I eat mostly healthy, but I love chips and sweets. Lord, I love chocolate.
- Go to bed earlier most nights…
- But stay up late when the occasion calls for it. I turned down a concert because it was on a work night. I’ll never remember that extra few hours of sleep!
- Spend more time with family and friends… As much time as possible. They make life worth living!
- Read. I don’t mean Twitter. I have several books I’ve started and not finished. I didn’t even manage to finish a novel on vacation!
- Find a local church, wherever “local” is.
- Stress less and have fun. That is a permanent goal and not as easy to measure. But I know it will make life enjoyable!
|Image via Zazzle.|
One of my mottos is “life is an adventure.” God willing, I’ll make it to 30 on May 2nd and continue the ride.
What goals did you have before you turned 30, and, if you’re not there yet, what would you like to accomplish?